Skip to main content

Payment, Billing, and Financial Aid

State and/or Federal Financial Aid

Students enrolled in Freshmen Connection are eligible to receive federal and state funding and institutional grants (Terrapin Commitment and University of Maryland Grant) to help cover their educational expenses. For important information regarding financial aid notification for students who will have completed the FAFSA by the University’s April 1 deadline, please see the Office of Student Financial Aid.

  • Students who have questions about their aid package should contact the OSFA: or 301-314-8377.

Terp Payment Plan

The Terp Payment Plan (TPP) is a convenient alternative to a lump sum payment. By enrolling in the plan, payment can be made in monthly installments with no interest.

529 College Savings Plan

College Savings Plans are managed through the financial institution with which there is a plan. See State of Maryland College Savings Plan.

Tuition Remission

Tuition remission does not cover mandatory student services or other fees. UMCP employees should talk with their unit’s HR representative. All other UMD System employees must receive authorization from their home institution. See UMCP UHR Tuition Remission.

Third Party/Sponsored Billing

This is when a private or government agency is paying any portion of a student’s tuition or fees and they are requesting a bill from the University. See Third Party/Sponsored Billing.

Billing Schedule

Fall tuition and fees post to the student account around in mid to late July. For complete information on the student bill, billing reminders, and payment due dates, see Student Financial Services—Billing Schedule.

Important Notes

  • Failure to make payment by the deadline will result in late fees and may lead to a financial block preventing future registration. See Student Financial Services—Billing Overview.
  • If using the Terp Payment Plan, Financial Aid, a College Savings Plan, etc., contact the Financial Service Center via email ( prior to the payment deadline to avoid late fees.

How to Submit Payment

FERPA and Student Record Access

Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

  • FERPA is a Federal law that protects a student’s privacy interest in their education records. FERPA provides that educational institutions, such as postsecondary institutions, may disclose education records, or personally identifiable information from such records, only if an eligible student has provided prior written consent, except in several specified circumstances. For complete information, see Office of the Registrar—Student Privacy (FERPA Explained).

Granting Access to Student Academic or Financial Record

  • At UMD, students have the option of granting access to their academic or financial records. Students are not required, by FERPA, to grant this access. Students who depend on a parent/guardian to submit payment on their behalf must give them access. The process for granting access to either the academic or financial record is split.

Cancellation Policy

Cancellation means terminating enrollment before the start of the fall semester.

  • View the Undergraduate Catalog for complete information on cancellation.
  • For the last day to cancel FC enrollment with 100% of tuition and fees, see Office of the Registrar, Academic Deadlines. Select Fall and Spring Semesters. 
  • Cancellation requests must be received in writing via email: The request must include the student’s full name, permanent address, student UID, and a full statement of cancellation. The request must come from the student's email of record. To view email of record, visit Testudo and select Change Address/E-mail.

Withdrawal Policy

Withdrawal means terminating enrollment from all courses between the first day and the last day of the fall semester. A withdrawal statement and effective date will be recorded on the final transcript.

  • View the Undergraduate Catalog for complete information on withdrawal.
  • For university's refund schedule, see Office of the Registrar, Academic Deadlines. Select Fall and Spring Semesters.
  • To request the FC withdrawal form, email: Provide the student’s full name and student UID. The request must come from the student's email of record. To view email of record, visit Testudo and select Change Address/E-mail.

Students are responsible for viewing their billing statements, accessing the current account balance, and determining the payment due date at View Your Monthly Bill. For complete information on billing, late fee policy, financial requirements for registration, delinquent accounts, and bill disputes, see Billing Overview. Questions? Contact Student Financial Services via email at or call 301-314-9000.

The University does not automatically refund a credit balance. To request a refund, see Refunds Overview-Student Financial Services.

Questions? Contact Us