How to Enroll and Register
|Freshmen Connection Schedule||Date|
|Enrollment Opens (First-come, First-served)||March 28|
|Guaranteed Campus Housing (Deadline to Submit Request)||May 1|
|International Students (F or J Visa): FC Enrollment Closes||May 1|
|Domestic Student||First-come, First-served|
|Need help? Schedule an advising appointment via firstname.lastname@example.org|
Activate Directory ID and Password (Select Activate Account)
- The Directory ID and password grants access to UMD systems and resources.
- In addition to the Directory ID and password, students use Multi-Factor Authentication to access UMD systems and resources.
- A TERPmail account is automatically created for undergraduates who activate their Directory ID. Students receive instructions on setting up a TERPmail password via the email used on their application.
- TERPmail is UMD's official means of communication and is required for access to UMD Wireless Networks and UMD's electronic learning management system (ELMS). See TERPmail Frequently Asked Questions.
Guidelines and Assistance
- Need help? Contact email@example.com.
- It may take up two business days (Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.) for the Directory ID to become effective.
- See TERPmail Frequently Asked Questions.
Other Important Information
- University Identification Number (UID): 9-digit number that appears on the admission letter. Always include this number when communicating with faculty or staff, since this is the best and quickest way to find the student record in any UMD system.
- Student ID Card: Physical ID card for UMD students who confirm admission and register for classes. The card is issued during summer orientation and used to access library services, campus shuttle buses, the Campus Recreation Center, athletic events, and more.
Complete this step only if planning to live on campus.
Access the Extended Studies Forms Portal.
Note: Freshmen Connection is only open to freshmen who are offered and confirm spring admission to the University of Maryland. Students admitted for the fall semester are not eligible for Freshmen Connection. The $75 enrollment fee for Freshmen Connection is non-refundable. Ensure eligibility prior submitting the enrollment form.
- Select Log In with UMD Directory ID. See Step 2, above.
- Select My Forms.
- Select Start New Form.
- Select Freshmen Connection Enrollment Form.
- Complete the Math Placement Test
- Problems? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Include student full name, student UID, and statement of the issue.
Who must take the online MPT?
- All incoming UMD freshmen are required to complete the Math Placement Test (MPT).
- The MPT provides a measure of a student’s math skills. The results are used to ensure that students are eligible to enroll in the math requirement associated with their intended major as well as any math-dependent courses.
How will I find out my math eligibility?
- Advisors email MPT results to students who have submitted the Freshmen Connection Enrollment Form every Wednesday. MPT results are sent to the student email of record. To view email of record, visit Testudo and select Change Address/E-mail.
- MPT results typically post overnight. Students who submit the Freshmen Connection Enrollment Form and complete the MPT on a Wednesday would receive their results on the following Wednesday.
Can I register for my other (non-Math courses) before completing the MPT?
- Students should wait to receive their MPT results before registering.
- Advisors review schedules once a student has registered for 12 or more credits.
- It is important that any math or math-dependent courses are included in the review.
Can I retake the online MPT?
- Students may retake the MPT one time prior to the start of the fall semester and 30 days after first taking it.
- After 30 days, contact email@example.com to request a retake. Provide the student's full name and UID.
- After completing the retake, email firstname.lastname@example.org so that FC advisors can look up the score. New MPT scores are not automatically emailed to students.
- See Math Placement Test Information for preparation resources, guidelines, and a sample exam.
- Students who receive testing accommodations must contact UMD’s Accessibility and Disability Service (ADS) and make arrangements to take the paper MPT. The online MPT is not available to students who receive accommodations for testing.
- Students who take the paper MPT through ADS should register for all courses other than those requiring a Math eligibility before these results post.
- Students who have completed the paper MPT through ADS must contact an advisor at email@example.com.
- A small number of seats are reserved in all math and math-dependent courses for students who take the paper MPT through ADS.
Complete FC Registration Modules
The FC Registration Modules are online tutorials that provide step-by-step instructions on how to register for classes. These tutorials are accessed via ELMS (Electronic Learning Management System) which is the online environment that supports online learning at UMD.
- Students receive access to the modules 48 business hours (Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.) after submitting the FC Enrollment Form and the $75 enrollment fee.
- Students are notified via TERPmail.
- Students must complete the FC Registration Module and one Major-Specific Module.
- Upon completion, students gain access to register for fall classes.
Register for Fall Classes
Students who successfully complete the FC Registration Module and one Major-Specific Module receive an email to their TERPmail account 48 business hours (Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.) after such completion. The email contains details on registration via Testudo - Registration (Drop/Add). As a reminder, registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. Certain courses, particularly math and science, fill and close early.
How do I know that I’ve chosen the right classes?
Advisors review all full-time student schedules (i.e. registering for 12 or more credits) within 10 business days (Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.) of registration.
- Upon review, advisors notify students via the student email of record. Make sure to check the spam folder. In some cases, changes to the fall schedule may be necessary, requiring an action by the student.
- Students planning not to be full-time (i.e. registering for fewer than 12 credits) must request a review via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Provide student full name, student UID, and statement of request. The request must come from the student email of record.
Email of Record
To view email of record, visit Testudo and select Change Address/E-mail.
- Students must wait 48 business hours (Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.) after confirming spring admission and submitting the FC Enrollment Form.
- Orientation dates are filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
- All incoming UMD freshmen are required to complete a new student orientation.