Courses, Delivery, and Online Access
Testudo (Schedule of Classes) lists the academic units offering courses during Winter Session.
- Select an academic unit to view the courses offered.
- Select Show Sections to determine delivery method, time, classroom location, available seats, etc.
- Students can also search for courses by delivery method. Below are the types of delivery methods as well as how to recognize the notations.
- The class meets in person, in a classroom, for all class meetings.
- On Testudo (Schedule of Classes), in person delivery has no icon and has specific meeting times and locations.
- The class meets both in person and online.
- On Testudo (Schedule of Classes), there is an icon that appears under the section number that denotes blended. The location for the in person element will provide a specific classroom. The location for the online element will indicate “ONLINE.”
- Instruction for the online element can be provided in one of three ways: asynchronous, synchronous, or a combination of both. See Online Instructional Options, below.
- The class only meets online.
- On Testudo (Schedule of Classes), there is an icon that appears under the section number. The location will indicate “ONLINE.”
- Instruction can be provided in one of three ways: asynchronous, synchronous, or a combination of both. See Online Instructional Options, below.
- The instructor provides students with online content to review on their own time. Student is not required to log in at a specific time. Course information will have this notation: Class time/details on ELMS.
- Synchronous instruction is provided in real-time, where the class meets online at specified times. Students are expected to be in class, online, at the specified time(s). This information will be listed as a specific online meeting time.
- Some portions of the course are provided synchronously, and other portions are provided asynchronously. Specific meeting dates/times for the synchronous portion of the course are listed.
- Class meets both face-to-face and online. The location for the face-to-face element will provide a specific classroom and meet time. The location for the online element will indicate “ONLINE.” Instruction for the online element can be provided in one of three ways: asynchronous, synchronous, or a combination of both.
- ELMS (Electronic Learning Management System) is the online environment that supports online learning at UMD.
- Most courses have some type of online content and ELMS offers access to the following:
- Static Content - Syllabi, schedules, announcements, and lecture notes.
- Interactive Content - Discussion groups, live chats, and assessments.
- TERPmail is required to access ELMS.
- The course instructor must first load the online content into ELMS.
- This may not occur earlier than 24-48 hours prior to the course start date. Some instructors may wait until the first day of class.
- Students who register late: It may take up to 24 hours for ELMS to give access.
- The first 5 waitlisted students have ELMS course access up to the final day of schedule adjustment. To remain on the waitlist, you MUST check-in each day of the Mandatory Waitlist Check-in Period associated with the course or you will automatically be dropped from the waitlist and lose access to the ELMS course as well. To view the Mandatory Waitlist Check-in Period, visit Academic and Financial Deadlines (select the calendar associated with your course). If you are dropped from the waitlist, you will not be able to reclaim your spot. If you have been officially admitted to the course/section you will temporarily lose access to the ELMS course until you accept the enrollment. If you are never admitted to the course, you will lose access after the Mandatory Waitlist Check-In Period ends.
UMD Online Resources
- Accessibility and Disability Service: Online Portal Services
- Career Center: Online Career Management Tool
- Libraries: Online Resources and Services
- Online Student Success Orientation: Free workshop with strategies for successful online learning.
- Writing Center Online Tutoring